Netgear Extender – Nighthawk X6 AC3000 EX8000 Tri-band Wi-Fi extender
What is a Netgear Extender?
A Range Extender is a device that repeats the wireless signal from your router, which in turn expands the coverage area of the router. The Extender is usually placed where the user requires better Wi-Fi signal. While the Netgear routers are exceptionally good, there are a few exceptions where no technology can cross the barriers. For routers, they are thick concrete walls, different floors, somewhat moderate coverage area, too many devices and more. This is where the Netgear Extender comes in.
Place the Extender between the router and the desired area accordingly where you wish to increase the internet coverage. There are a few dead spots everywhere, be it a home or a small office. The users experience dead spots where the user cannot access the wireless signals. The user should be able to use their internet without having to worry about roaming around their house to access the promised wireless signals. The Netgear Extender provides the ultimate solution to this problem.
The Netgear Extender must be brought in the same room as the router. Once the initial setup is complete, the extender can be placed in the intended location.
Troubleshooting guide for Netgear extender setup using mywifiext.net.
- Firstly, turn on the power of the Extender and wait for the power light to turn green.
- On your wireless device, open the wireless connection manager and look for the NETGEAR_EXT username and connect to it. This will be the default username for your Netgear Extender. You can always change it afterwards.
- Subsequently, open up a web browser from the same wireless device and it will automatically take you to the on screen Netgear Genie setup page. Alternatively, you can type www.mywifiext.net in the address bar of your browser to access the login page of your Netgear Extender.
- Then the Netgear Genie will now search for all the existing wireless networks in the area. After the search is complete, a list of all the wireless networks which are within the range of the Netgear extender will display. Select the name of the wireless network that you wish to extend. Furthermore, just click the Continue option.
- If you have set up a password on the wireless connection that you wish to extend, then the setup page will prompt you to type in that same password for the wireless connection. Enter the password for the wireless connection that you wish to extend and click Continue.
Furthermore, if by some chance you do not see the name of your wireless network that you wish to extend, make sure that the Netgear Extender is within the range of the main wireless connection range.
- Then, you will see options of different bandwidths that you main router may support. If your router supports 5 GHz bandwidth option, then select the 5 GHz wireless network of your existing router and click Continue. If it does not support 5 GHZ bandwidth option, then select My router does not support 5 GHz band. Click Contiue.
There might be times when the wireless connection of the Netgear router and the Netgear extender failed to establish, in that case try turning off and then turning on all your devices so that the network is refreshed.
- After the extender has initialized the connection with the router, the display page will ask you whether you wish to change the wireless settings of the Netgear Extender. If you wish to leave the default settings unchanged, you can always come back later to change the settings. Click Continue to save the setup process and all the settings.
- Almost after two minutes, you will see a window saying You are now one step away from completing the installation. After this, you will be automatically disconnected from the Extender wireless network.
- Then, connect to the Netgear Extender using your wireless device. After you have connected to the Extender’s wireless network, go back to the Netgear Extender screen. There will be an option at the bottom saying My wireless devices are connected to the External Network. Check the same option.
- Finally, you will see a page saying “Congratulations!”That means your Netgear Extender is connected successfully. Click Finish to close the setup window.
In Sum: Your Netgear Extender will now be setup and ready to use. You can place the Extender where ever you desire within the range of the main router and you can start using your internet.
If you wish to read about setting up your Netgear router, click here.